Back in May 2013, I started a challenge to only buy “new” clothes from second hand shops like Goodwill for a full year. I did pretty well and am still all about the thrift shop!
New Clothes Over the Last Year
I said in the challenge to myself that I would allow myself to buy brand new undergarments. I stuck to this pretty well. Here are the only new clothes that I have bought since May 2013:
- A package of new underwear – $6
- Swim suit (not technically an undergarment, but it touched my womanly bits directly and ended up being an amazing Amazon deal that looks fantabulous) – $33
- Cat suit that I used to dress up for Comicpalooza as the Black Widow and Cat Woman (again, touched my lady parts, so I made an exception) – $28
- Flexees (like Spanx) to make the Black Widow and Cat Woman look sleek instead of belly-licious. – $15
All Other Clothes – Donations and Thrift Shop
I will admit, I didn't go clothes shopping much anyway. Here were all of the other clothes that entered my possession since May 2013:
- My friend, Isabelle, cleaned out her closet and I inherited a bunch of awesome new-to-me shirts.
- Isabelle also donated the boots I wore as the Black Widow and Cat Woman as well as a nice pair of wedge heels to my small, but growing, shoe collection. I think she felt sorry for my lonely other shoes…
- Here were all of my Goodwill and resale shop purchases over 4 total visits (most of these were made this past week, which reminded me to write this post, LOL): 1 pair of boots ($10), 1 pair of heels ($7), two new shirts ($13), 1 pair of jeans ($9), 1 pair of slacks ($8 – and they are also knows as my “booty slacks”), and 3 sweater/pullovers ($14 – one given away accidentally at Fincon14).
- Total = $61
That means that I have spent a grand total of $143 on clothing and related items from May 2013-September 2014. I aim to spend $100 or less per year, so I have stayed on track. I don't see shopping again at all until 2015. All of that said, I've decided to make this a permanent life change! No reason to buy new when I can get the same or better used at 50%-90% off.
How are you doing with clothes? Is it where your budget sails or sinks?