I am back from the Financial Blogger Conference 2011 and am refreshed!!! I will be sure to tell you all about it tomorrow, but I am sleepy and going to bed right now. But check out my income for September!!! HOLY MOLY!!! Thank you all for helping me live my dream!!!
I wanted to blog full time by 2012. To reach that goal, I thought I needed a bunch of traffic on all of my blogs. Specifically, I was aiming for 25,000 unique visitors a month at BFS by August 2011 and needed to be making $30,000 a year total by 2012.
Well, there was a change of plans. I literally got too busy with my online work to keep my day job, so I quit as of July 15th, 2011! Self-employment is rocking so far!
I figured the best way to keep my eye on the prize is to hit monthly targets, so I started posting here. Between that and the fact there seems to be major interest in the subject, I started an update around the 1st of every month of my blogging stats and income generated. I’ll also do a huge 1 year update at the beginning of every January.
Here were my goals for September 2011 followed by the results:
- Alexa Ranking: 31,000 /30,937
- Visits: 13,500 /12,687
- Unique Visitors: 10,000 /9640
- Pageviews: 25,000 /21,463
- RSS subscribers: 750 /500
- Twitter followers: 850 /836
- Traffic breakdown: 4500 from Referring Sites (3959), 2500 from Direct Traffic (2021), 5500 from Search Engines (5859), 1000 from Other (848)
Blogging Income: $5000 / $12,613.23 (excluding Paypal which is part of my expenses below)
Monthly Income Breakdown
- Advertising on My Blogs (80% from BFS): $4166.42
- Writing (Staff Writing and Freelance Posts): $615
- Blogging Services (Running advertising on other sites and freelance tasks): $7831.81
I had $1769.35 in expenses as well since I did buy Money in the 20s and am having some niche sites built. If you’d like to see my exact blogging expenses breakdown, check out How I Make Money Blogging. I have been keeping them at 15% or less of my overall income.
Seeing that I hit my self-employment goal much earlier than expected, I am now making goals to get my traffic up and my income stabilized. I didn’t hit my traffic goals so I will be focusing on content this month even more. BUT WOOT for $12,000!!!
In the meantime,
I am paying myself $3575 a month
(a third of that goes to taxes…), so I better darn well keep bringing in at least that. The extra monney is divided up like I mention in our budget.
My goals for October:
- Alexa Ranking: 31,000
- Visits: 13,500
- Unique Visitors: 10,000
- Pageviews: 25,000
- RSS subscribers: 750
- Twitter followers: 850
- Traffic breakdown: 4500 from Referring Sites, 2500 from Direct Traffic, 5500 from Search Engines, 1000 from Other
Blogging Income: $6000
Any questions, comments, or advice? As I mentioned, I go into more detail with my income and expenses on the 1st of the month at https://howimakemoneyblogging.com/, but feel free to ask anything you’d like at either site!!!