As I have said before, my husband and I love our bi-weekly housekeeper, Jacqui. She’s been our friend and housekeeper for more than 5 years now. She keeps our home liveable since we are too lazy to do much more than dishes and laundry on a regular basis.
Anyway, I was washing our sheets and placing them on the bed last week before Jacqui arrived since my husband loves the way she makes the bed but I do not like asking her to lift the heavy Tempurpedic to put on the fitted sheet. As I was throwing the top sheet on the bed willy-nilly since Jacqui has her own way of tucking it anyway, I realized the sheets were a little wrinkly since they had been left in the dryer a little while before I grabbed them.
My reaction to wrinkly sheets? I don’t care. But I do realize that quite a few people iron their sheets to make them look crisp on the bed.
I am now arguing that life is too damn short to iron bed sheets.
Life is Too Short
I have been volunteering at a local nursing home for almost two months now on behalf of a hospice group. My main person to visit has been Mrs. H, a 70-something, spunky lady who I believe is slowly dying of heart disease of some sort. I visit her at least once a week and we usually chat about everything – her family, my new house under construction, and my plans for the week since she asks.
Last week I was talking about my husband’s birthday and the fact that Mr. BFS finally caught up with me for a little while and is 29 years old. Her response was to look me dead in the eyes and say, “Remember to take care of him. Husbands do not last long.”
That really hit me. Her husband passed away 10-15 years ago and she misses him so much. My hubby and I are now both 29, and although we try not to take anything for granted, somedays we do slip into that. Life is too short and I do not know when I will lose the ones I love or when they will lose me.
Things I Won’t Do
That said, here is the list of things off the top of my head that I refuse to waste time on since they do not give me, personally, enough satisfaction to justify the time spent:
- Ironing sheets (and Jacqui doesn’t iron our sheets either).
- Ironing clothing (I just hang them up out of the dryer and buy fabrics that are tough to screw up).
- In fact, ironing anything seems like a waste to me. I sold our iron for $10 since we had not used it ever in 11 years.
- Daily makeup – I just use foundation when I am going out. If I am just staying in or seeing friends and family, I don’t bother.
- Hair care. I shampoo and condition my hair once or twice a week, let it air dry, and brush it before going out. Sometimes I put it into a ponytail if I don’t want it in my face. Other than that, it is all natural all the time – might as well use the benefit of having low maintenance, red hair.
- Chores. We do our dishes and our laundry regularly, but Jacqui handles the rest like the floors and bathrooms. For Jacqui, she is trading her time on the chores for cash. I rather trade my time online for cash. Mr. BFS trades his time for fixing bowling machines for cash. I think everyone has some job they rather do than others…life is too short not to outsource the jobs you do not like if you can afford to.
- Lawn care. I will water once in a while and weed once in a while, but overall, the $25 we spend every two weeks on Ben to take care of our lawn is more than worth it to me.
In general, I refuse to spend time on anything I absolutely dislike anymore. The more I talk to Mrs. H and the other nursing home residents, the more I realize that I want to spend as much time possible with the people I love. Period. I enjoy blogging and my online jobs, which is awesome. It is amazing to be able to earn a living on something that doesn’t suck my soul out through my ears. But overall, my priority in life will always be the people in it.
My hope is that I can look back on my life 50 years down the road and have as few regrets as possible. To me, that means not wasting a freaking second on ironing sheets.
What do you refuse to waste time on? I know we all have different priorities, so this should be fun!