Thousandaire asked in this post,
This raises the question;
if you had millions in the bank, would you retire at 46?
I don’t mean retire where you go work another job. I’m talking where you spend the rest of your life pursuing hobbies and spending time with family.
I answered with a resounding HECK YES in 1 second flat, lol. Wouldn’t most people? Apparently not Thousandaire. He comes out and says,
I think showing up to work every day is a healthy and natural part of life, and I’d hate to be without it.
I think that he is lucky to enjoy his day job so much. I’m not being snarky either – I truly think he is amazingly lucky. I personally enjoy the other aspects of my life WAY more. I’d happily fill in the extra 50 hours of my week with my hobbies and time with friends and family.
Here are my early retirement dreams:
- Most of my friends are 15-25 years older than me, so it will be nice to be able to hang out with them as soon as they retire too.
- I’d finally have the time during the day to deliver lunches for Meals on Wheels. Up to this point, I’m only available on Saturdays when they need help.
- I’d also be able to grow all 3 of my blogs at the same time. It could be argued that blogging would be my job, but it is my hobby first and foremost. The income it makes me is AWESOME but I would do it for free.
- I could run my errands during the day when traffic is nicer and less people are out and about.
- Continue investing without thinking. This is why I began investing on Robinhood. I want my money working for me without much mental work.
- I could have lazy days where I watch whatever-I-want marathons and have snack food attacks at will (I’d space these out so I don’t get too unhealthy to enjoy everything else of course).
- TRAVELING. My husband and I would finally be able to take a trip during the school year! Do you know that cruises cost about twice as much from June-August and in December? Tack on all the other costs such as insurance these become very expensive trips. This is one of the reasons I decided to review the best travel insurance companies recently. Me and my friends always travel with insurance coverage and it has paid for itself many times over.
- I’d finally have enough time to pursue other hobbies that I’ve put aside in favor of blogging. I want to join a volunteer choir or singing group of some sort. Maybe we could tour senior citizen centers. I also have been trying to find the time to finally put together 10 years worth of photo albums. I would even be able to try out things just for fun – maybe a few dance classes or kick boxing. It’s harder for me to allow myself to just “try” things right now since my time is so freaking priceless…
I know a few people who define themselves through their part time jobs at home. I also know a couple of people who have found their dream job and enjoy waking up to it every morning. I do understand that those people may not want to retire until they physically cannot get out of bed anymore. More power to them.
For the rest of us though, retirement is the ultimate dream, right? It is definitely what gets me up on weekday mornings. I blog because I enjoy it, but I go to my “real” job everyday to keep up our retirement savings, lol. I wish cd account rates were better because I would put more money in that. In the meantime we’ll stick with the money market savings account we have set up. Here’s to hitting our early retirement goal by age 52 or less!!!
Would you retire at 46 if you could? Read more about how to make passive income using different online and offline ideas.