“STEP AWAY FROM THE DONUTS,” shouted my inner voice last week. So I’ve started tracking what I eat again and even started to consider vegan meal delivery, which means that I have tough choices to make on what goes into my mouth (hehehehe, yeah, I hear it…). Anyway, with calorie or carb tracking, subbing a flour tortilla for romaine lettuce can save an otherwise crappy diet day.
Ingredients for the Chicken Fajitas Marinade Part:
3 pounds Chicken Breasts – $6
1 Large Onion – $1
2 Bell Peppers – $1 currently
3 Tablespoons of Vegetable Oil or Olive Oil – $Negligible
3 Tablespoons of Lime Juice – $0.50
2 Teaspoons Garlic Powder and/or 2-3 cloves of minced garlic – $Negligible
2 Teaspoons Ground Cumin – $Negligible
2 Teaspoons Chili Powder – $Negligible
2 Teaspoons Paprika – $Negligible
1 ½ teaspoons Black Pepper – $Negligible
1-2 teaspoons Salt – $Negligible
IF YOU WANT A SPICY KICK:
¼ cup Cilantro, chopped
½ Jalapeno, seeded and minced
Chicken Fajitas Cooking Instructions:
1. Either slice your chicken breasts into strips or throw them into a plastic bag or something you don’t mind whacking with a meat tenderizer until they are thinner.
2. Slice up the onion and green bell peppers.
3. Combine the remaining ingredients into a bowl and mix well.
4. Throw the chicken, onion, bell peppers, and marinade into a well-sealed plastic bag to marinate for as long as you can – 2 hours up to 2 days.
5. When you are ready to cook, empty the marinating bag of chicken, onions, and bell pepper into a large stove top pan with the heat on high. Use the spatula or stirring spoons to flip the chicken a few times in the first 5-8 minutes as the pan gets hot.
6. Lower the heat to a low medium, cover, and let it cook for 5 minutes.
7. Stir and flip around the contents again, cover, and let it cook for another 5 minutes.
8. Cut a large strip of chicken in half to confirm that the chicken is no longer pink in the middle before turning off the heat.
What to Assemble for the Chicken Fajita Romaine Boats:
Your Fajita Chicken, Onion, and Bell Peppers from Above – $9.50
3-pack of Romaine Lettuce – $2.50
Can of Black Beans – $1
Tomatoes – $1
Shredded Cheese – $1
How to Assemble Chicken Fajita Romaine Boats:
1. Lay 2-3 leaves of romaine lettuce onto a plate.
2. Add about 1 to 1 1/2 ounces of chicken and onions and peppers to taste in each leaf.
3. Sprinkle on a spoonful of black beans, tomatoes, and shredded cheese to taste per leaf.
The chicken prep and marinade process took me less than 20 minutes. Cooking and assembly took another 20-30 minutes the next day. The end result was enough to feed the both of us 2 people 3 full meals. They were delicious, less than 225 calories for 3 “boats”, and cost us about $15 for everything. 6 full meal portions of this deliciousness for about $15 was awesome to us!
And the chicken fajita marinade from this recipe is exactly what I’d use even if we were using tortillas instead. The chicken is definitely the star. Oh, and I am considering pairing this with my cheap, easy, and yummy vegetable soup next time if I serve this to friends or family that may want a side. Also check out the latest Ubereats reviews if you would rather have meals delivered to you.